Social Icons

Friday, October 11, 2013

Suicide Bereavement: I'm feeling a little angry/mad today

I am doing my thesis on suicide bereavement.  Grief and suicide are both great passions of mine and so I have combined the two into the culminating work of my Master's degree.  I am under a little bit of pressure to ensure that I get it done in time to graduate--having a baby kinda threw a wrench into my grand scheme of things.

Today I have spent hour reading and re-reading my transcribed interviews and I feel a little angry.  Several weeks ago, I had an emotional breakdown while looking at the data.  I wrote a bit about it on my personal blog, located here.  While I do not imagine I will ever stop missing my brother, today I am a little mad at him. My last memory of him is a trip to Four Peaks mountain in Arizona...the same mountain where he later took his own life.  I don't remember much about the trip except that I pretended to sprain my ankle to come home early--and that I was scared.  One of the key factors in my brother's suicide was the abandonment and rejection he felt from his birth father (my mother's first husband).  One of his last comments to my mother was, "I hope Quintin's (that's me) trust doesn't get broken like mine was."

Well you know what, it was.  And he was the one that did it.  He was so obsessed with his own issues of abandonment and rejection that he abandoned and rejected his eight-year-old brother that worshiped him.

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a fair and potentially common emotion. How can you not feel abandoned or unconsidered? I'm sorry. It's not the same for me, but I know the feeling you described.

    ReplyDelete

 

Sample text

Sample Text