Social Icons

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Re-reconsidering Sleepovers

Recently, I had a friend post an article about reconsidering sleepovers. (The article can be found here)  I think the article makes some great suggestions about things to consider when having a sleepover, but something about the way the article is written rubs me a little wrong.  I grew up with a few kids that were not allowed to have or come to sleepovers but also went to more than a few myself.  I don't think one way or the other is "the right answer" for all people.  

My biggest concern with the article is that I get the feeling it is saying it's only safe to be at home--no one else is be trusted.  The article cites an article from the New York Times that reports only 8% of children are abused by strangers (and my understanding of this in the article is to not let your kids be alone with friends at their homes).  However, either article fails to acknowledge that most abuse happens within the child's own home. By family members. 

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. The institute offers a Masters of Arts online psychology programs that leads to licensure as a LPCC. Those who complete their graduation successfully can definitely enroll in the Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D) program. The institute is well known for offering a highly dynamic and innovative program.

    Licensed Professional Counselor Programs
    Online Marriage and Family Therapy Graduate Programs
    Online Clinical Geropsychology Doctor of Psychology Program California
    Online Doctor of Psychology Programs California
    Online Masters In Clinical Psychology
    Online Forensic Psychology Degree

    ReplyDelete

 

Sample text

Sample Text